Removing the Devil from their name proved to be a winning exorcism for the Tampa Bay Rays, who solved the unsolvable Mariano Rivera to ascend to first place in the AL East. Gabe Gross singled with no outs in the 11th to drive in the first run Rivera has allowed this season in a 2-1 victory over the Yankees. That's… »
What you missed while trying to figure out exactly what this guy did wrong ...
• NBA: Jameer Nelson's prediction comes true; except for the part about the Magic winning. Detroit advances to sixth consecutive Eastern Conference Finals.
• NHL: Penguins win 4-1 to set up dramatic four-game playoff comeback by Flyers.
What to watch after your reign of mini-donut terror is ended ...
• NBA: Eastern Conference semifinals, Game 5, Orlando at Detroit (7 p.m., ET); Western Conference semifinals, Game 6, San Antonio at New Orleans (9:30 p.m., ET). This had better not interfere with the latest episode of Charmed. [TNT]
• NHL: Eastern… »
You can imagine my pride when I discovered that my two local baseball teams, the Giants and Athletics, were found to be among the worst transgressors in a recent survey of health code violations at stadium concessions. As far as Oakland's McAfee Coliseum goes, all I have to hear are the terms "overhead leakage" and… »
I guess we're somewhat removed from the era in which Rich "Goose" Gossage dominated baseball; well, when he dominated the final three innings of it, anyway. The closer really hadn't been perfected until Gossage came along, and the game hasn't been the same since. Although the Hall of Famer spent just six of his 22 major… »
Somewhere, Neal Ball and Bill Wambsganss are smiling (which is creepy, because they're dead). They finally get to welcome another member into the Cleveland Unassisted Triple Play Club, as Asdrubal Cabrera made the magic happen on Monday night against the Blue Jays. It was the 14th unassisted triple play in major league … »
What you missed while leaping onto the Bob Barr Presidential bandwagon ...
• NBA: Why Don't We Do It On The Road ... Celtics lose again in Cleveland, evening series 2-all.
• MLB: Nick Adenhart gets his first major league victory, then is promptly sent to the minors. Angels 10, White Sox 7.
• NHL: Oh, that cement is… »
What you missed while riding the giant NSFW mechanical bucking penis ...
• Arena Football: Philadelphia at Georgia (8 p.m., ET). Welcome to Duluth, bitches. [ESPN2]
• MLB: Boston at Minnesota (7 p.m., ET). Come see a sporting event in the only building named after a man named Hubert. [ESPN]
• NBA: Eastern Conference… »
Those who have been following the story of John Challis in the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette shouldn't be surprised that he's taking the country by storm. The Freedom High School (Pa.) senior, who has terminal cancer, was invited to attend Game 2 of the NHL playoff series between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh on Sunday at… »
Many of us have wondered why prolific message board poet Dee Mirich has remained silent on the tragic Eight Belles Kentucky Derby accident. After all, when Barbaro fell, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting one of her offerings. But now all is clear: Ms. Mirich had been working feverishly on her magnum opus; a … »
Here we go, writing about breasts again. Mother's Day was Sunday, and you know what that means: The pink bats were back. And while that's good for the fight against breast cancer, it was bad for the Cincinnati Reds, who just seemed to be horribly disoriented by the unfamiliar flashing colors. I suppose this happens… »
What you missed while realizing that making fun of names is just too easy sometimes ...
• NBA: It's Pau Gasol who's been carrying the Lakers all season, so why is it Kobe's back that hurts? Jazz 123, Lakers 115, OT.
• MLB: Big Hurt ties Cal Ripken in all-time RBI; Athletics rough up Rangers.
• College basketball: More… »
What to watch after finishing your Little Golden Book ...
• Boxing: Junior welterweights, Mike Arnaoutis vs. Lanardo Tyner, at Atlantic City, (10 p.m., ET, same-day tape). Hey, I was going to name my son Lanardo! [ESPN2]
• NBA: Western Conference semifinals, Game 3, Los Angeles Lakers at Utah Jazz (9 p.m., ET). Jazz… »